What if you could create a simulation model that retains the precision of a full scale 3D analysis while running up to thousands of times faster?
This technology is already here and is called romAI! it uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) to create a reduced order model (rom) of your detailed system model. In the case of a complete system simulation, it is often sufficient to reduce components to their essential behavior, and improve run time while still achieving sufficiently accurate results.
The romAI models need just a small set of physical data or few results from 3D simulation runs to use as training data and generate the reduced order model (rom) that delivers fast run times and accurate results. romAI produces highly accurate results when operating within the training space and is even stable and useful for extrapolation outside the space.
Welcome to the unique experience of this AI driven system modeling contest, which is a fun and quick way to learn system modeling, digital twins and AI, and win exciting prizes. Your task is to create a romAI model of any system, trained with either real or simulation test data, and validate it with previously unused test data. Training material, free software, webinars and other such resources will be provided for all participants.
Join one of the regional contests! Please choose the one your university is located in. Regional winners have a further chance to win the global prize*!
The deadline for submissions is August 5th, 2022 (11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time).
First Prize: US $1000
Second Prize: US $500
Third Prize: US $250
Most Creative Presentation: US $500
First Prize: US $1000 goes to Sergio Esparza, (University of Technology of Compiègne, France)
Second Prize: US $500 goes to Abhijit Moni, (De Montfort University, UK)
Most Creative Presentation: US $500 goes to Sergio Esparza, (University of Technology of Compiègne, France)
First Prize: US $1000 goes to Hang Ji lu, Guan Li, Zonghua Chen, Zhenyang Han, Kaifeng Sun, Xing Chen (Northeast Electric Power University, China)
Second Prize: US $500 goes to Jinun Byun and Chanheum Park. (Kyung Hee University, South Korea)
Third Prize: US $250 goes to Qing Zhou, Weiqi jiang, Hongwen Li (Ningbo University, China)
Most Creative Presentation: US $500 goes to Jinun Byun and Chanheum Park. (Kyung Hee University, South Korea)
Step 1: Register for the contest
- Join the Altair Community (if not a member already), log in and then RSVP the contest invite (click here) by choosing Respond > Attend
- Comment on the contest invite and write a quick post on what excites you about participating in this contest.
- If you are participating as a team, each team member must do the above.
Any questions or concerns regarding the contest can be asked in the competitions forum here and will be answered promptly.
Step 2: Request and install the free Altair student edition 2022 (Make sure you have Activate 2022 which includes the romAI extension released in May 2022)
In the student edition request form please choose "Altair Contest" in the "How did you hear about the student edition?" field and kindly fill in "romAI Contest" in the Note: field
If you have trouble viewing or filling the form below, please click here to fill the form in another window.
Step 3: Understand the details of the contest problem
The problem usually takes less than 8 days for most students to solve.
Task A : Generate a Reduced Order Model using romAI that mimics a real-world system/digital twin to a sufficient degree of accuracy
- Generate / Acquire Suitable Test Data or use data gathered from a real-world system or from simulations of a digital twin.
- Use this data to train the romAI (create a reduced order model using AI) that mimics the real-world system/digital twin.
- Use the reduced order model you have created in an Altair Activate system model and validate it with a side by side video or pdf description showing the romAI behavior and real-world system/digital twin behavior.
Software to be used: Altair Activate
Evaluation criteria: We suggest you choose a system that is fun and interesting for you to work with. The level of complexity of the system you select is not important. It is more important to demonstrate you understand the concept and show how the romAI model was improved and moved closer to mimic the real-world system/digital twin
See the training materials section for the example model files
Task B : Optional - Creative Presentation
Description: Make a video showing the entire process of your contest solution, capture yourself talking about digital twins and how the technology excites you!
Evaluation criteria: Judges will evaluate your presentations skills, explanation of the process and the overall attractiveness and attention grabbing nature of the video you will be creating.
Step 4: Learn how to use the software and solve the problem
Here you will find an example that goes through the the problem solution requirements, and you will also find related model files to practice yourself.
Installation / Activation of the romAI in Altair Activate.
romAI is preinstalled in Altair Activate 2022, just go to File > Extension Manager > Switch it on.
romAI Introduction and help manual - Click Here !
Multidisciplinary romAI Examples with Data to Try yourself
BBT Example Step 1: Generate / Acquire Suitable Test Data or use data gathered from a digital twin to train the romAI
BBT Example Step 2: Train a Reduced Order Model using romAI that mimics a real-world system/digital twin.
BBT Example Step 3 : Validate the romAI with a video showing the romAI behavior and real-world system/digital twin behavior,
Multidisciplinary romAI Applications (Articles)
Online Contest Webinars
Recording of the first webinar (held on June 29, 2022)
Join students around the and watch this free webinar recording below to learn more about the contest and receive training on romAI and the contest solution process.
Recording of Second Training Webinar and Q&A (held on July 13th)
Join students around the world and watch this free webinar below to learn more about the contest and receive training on romAI and the contest solution process.
An international team of Altair experts will evaluate submitted Entries. Scoring is based on the criteria specified below
- Type of real-world system/digital twin (10 points)
- Quality and relevance of the submitted reports and files - test data used to train the romAI, trained romAI folder, Altair Activate system model using the romAI (30 points)
- Understanding of the required concept and improvement shown in the performance of romAI vs real system/digital twin outputs (40 points)
- Innovation and creativity (20 points)
Creative Presentation Prize Entry: A five (5) minute (maximum) video explaining or demonstrating the work that was done, which will be awarded separately. (Regional/Zonal Best Video -- Most Creative Presentation Prize)
Step 5: Upload your report and files here by choosing the region your university is in
Entries must consist of the following:
1) The Student Edition Software License file that was applied for and received by the Entrant to participate in this Contest.
- Note: The Student Edition Software License should not have expired on the day that the Entry is submitted.
2) TrainData File (csv), final romAI model folder (.zip), final Activate model file(.scm)
3) A Video or two page pdf document describing the system modelled, the improvement and the final performance of romAI in comparison to the real-world system/digital twin.
- pdf : one page describing the system with images, also describe the simulation or digital twin used to generated the training data if applicable, and one page describing the results from the romAI model vs the results from the real-world system/digital twin.
- video: explaining all of the above in a video of maximum 5 minutes in duration.
Creative Presentation Prize Entry (optional): A five (5) minute (maximum duration) video explaining or demonstrating the work that was done in a creative way, let your creativity shine!
Note: It is mandatory to RSVP the contest invite (click here) by choosing Respond > Attend Before you upload.
Learn about the 2021 contest, the challenge, the exciting entries and video submissions for the creative presentations, winners reactions etc.